Friday, July 23, 2010

Gaga for GLEE!

It happened to me. I was overtaken by Gleek fever. And according to this year's Emmy nominations, apparently the rest of us were too.

Congratulations to Glee! for 19 Emmy nominations! It's so wild. I've never heard of a TV show getting that many nods in my life.

But instead of harping on about how amazing, clever, fresh, and well-cast the show is, I'd instead like to focus on the episode that I believe was the most special of the whole series. And that of course is Theatricality--the Lady Gaga tribute episode!

Both the tribute episodes, "The Power of Madonna" and "Theatricality", were defiantly two of the best episodes in the first season, but Theatricality goes above and beyond in musical numbers, emotional depth, and intensity.

In this episode, Glee club learns the joys of living life theatrically, with unabashed self expression and your freak flag flying high. Among many issues, this episode deals with gay rights and the scrutiny people face for being different, leading viewers to some of the most colorful and emotional scenes in the whole season.

If you're a fellow Gleek, then you know all about the witty one-liners the writers sprinkle into the show. This flashy episode is full of quotes to LOL and ponder at.
  • "My mom won't even let me watch Twilight. She said Kristen Stewart seems like a bitch." -Tina
  • "I'm going to put together a palette that expresses who you are and who I want you to be...Who you want to be." -Kurt
  • "What's up with this Gaga dude? Doesn't he just dress weird, right? Like Bowie." -Puck 
  • "Even though I'm painfully shy and obsessed with death, I'm a really effervescent person." -Tina
  • "You look terrible. I look awesome." -Brittany
  • "The reason I'm here right now, in a shower curtain, is because of you." -Finn
  • "I swear to you I will never change. I'm proud to be different. It's the best thing about me." -Kurt
  • "We're all freaks together, and we shouldn't have to hide it." -Finn
Many would probably say that the best thing about Theatricality was the quality of the music numbers. If you've been following the season, then you know that some of the music numbers don't quite add up to the others. Some are just OK. But Theatricality delivers four numbers that are each very impactful in their own way.

Rachel and Ms. Corcoran's "Poker Face" could melt your heart, and the intent in Puck's eyes as he sings Kiss's "Beth" to Quinn is 100% believable.  But in my opinion, their version of "Bad Romance" really stole the show.



Apart from extremely jealous, this performance made me feel happy above all else. I loved watching them all swinging their claws and gritting their teeth while they rocked it out in those crazy outfits. I believe behavior like this is healthy. Theatricality is healthy. We can do nothing but gain from acting this way--abandoning inhibitions and surrendering to true self expression and exultation.

I appreciated Glee so much for making this episode, and ultimately, it made me appreciate Lady Gaga in a whole new way that I hadn't before.

It used to be cults like Rocky Horror Picture Show that preached the joys of living larger than life and without inhibitions. Now, Lady Gaga is bringing that message into the mainstream so that everyone has a chance to discover it. Now that we can celebrate the theatricality and raw, passionate energy of an artist like Lady Gaga, those who were previously unwilling are now able to see that it's OK to let go. It's OK to be a freak if that's how you feel.

Thank you Lady Gaga and Glee for giving hope to all the little monsters out there, and keeping the Rocky Horror Picture Show message alive--Don't dream it, be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment